- Making garments (e. g. gowns, dresses, blouses, shirts, pants, skirts, jackets, etc)
- Marking patterns and designs or using pre-designed ones to cut fabric into the necessary shapes
- Able to draft, drape, and translate designs from concept to delivery
- Able to imagine how the end garment will look like from the pattern design
- Altering and repairing garments
- Fixing torn or damaged clothing, as well as adjusting clothes to better fit customers
- Ensuring proper measurements, adjustments, and fittings
- Discussing with customers regarding their desired specifications for clothes
- Giving customers recommendations regarding fabrics, colours, and styles
- Showing customers samples of different fabrics and explaining the qualities of each one
- Taking measurements and ensuring alterations are done on time for when the customer returns
- Defining technical specifications for the garments and being knowledgeable about fabrics, patterns, shapes, and colours
- Selecting and testing different fabrics
- Knowing about pattern-making and fittings, adapting and creating patterns as needed
- Keeping up-to-date with the latest fashion trends and techniques, as well as finding the best quality fabrics
- Using specialized equipment such as industrial sewing machines and irons
- Organising and maintaining fabrics, trims, and other materials
- Preparing a budget based on time of work, costs of fabrics, and any special materials necessary
• Creating, altering, and repairing garments.
• Working with different fabrics.
• Estimating costs and materials.
• Maintaining a network of customers, vendors, and suppliers.
* Confers with customers to determine material, styles and designs of garments.
* Interprets designs, sketches and samples to determine pattern specifications.
* Cuts out master patterns.
* Lays up and cuts fabric.
* Uses the sketch provided by the Costume Designer to create the costume.
* Fabricates patterns, either by draping or flat patternmaking, for specific actors.
* Fits the costume to the actor.
* Cuts or supervises the cutting of all the fabric for the costume from the pattern.
* Determines yardage for fabric and trims for the costume.
* Corrects patterns or alters costumes as necessary.
* Supervises a crew by preparing and delegating work to First Hands and Stitchers.
* Manages time, including that of any crew members, in an effective manner.
* Researches the period, style and techniques necessary to complete the costume within the Costume Designer´s guidelines.
* Maintains the integrity of the Costume Design through his/her interpretation of the sketch.
* Performs other duties as assigned by the Costume Director.
* Demonstrated proficiency in flat patternmaking
* Demonstrated proficiency in draping and the ´´sculptural´´ using of fabric.
* Knowledge of and experience in a variety of costume construction techniques.
* Knowledge of and experience in both men´s and ladies´ tailoring techniques.
* Understanding of period shape and how to adapt it to theatrical costumes.
* Good working knowledge of costume history.
* Good working knowledge of fabric types and uses.
* Basic crew management skills inclduing but not limitde to: time management, work flow, and interpersonal communication.
New! View our jobs on FACEBOOK !